Carolyn Wall

Carolyn Wall
In case this author becomes a recluse, this is what she looked like....Courtesy Jennifer J. Parker

Friday, May 11, 2012

Tip of the Tongue Syndrome

       There’s this awful thing I do when I’m talking – I forget a single word that I’ve used a million times.  It drives me crazy.  At first, I and others like me thought fibromyalgia, in which I live and sometimes wallow, was to blame.  Then we decided it was the meds we take for it. 
       I researched.  Turns out there’s scientifically such a thing as Tip of the Tongue Syndrome, and it’s a side-effect of the way an individual’s brain is formed and mapped.  It gets worse as we get older.
       So far, I haven’t figured out if it’s a responsibility – or lack thereof – belonging to the  brain’s left side or the right.  In a recent class I learned the stunning differences – most of which I remember!-- and I suspect it’s a left-brain thing, this dropping a detail and refusing to search for it.
       All morning I’ve been trying to think of this word:  when you’re hurt or sick, you get a check from Social Security, don’t have to work, and it’s called ______________. 
       Holy jumping up and down – as I drew that underline, I remembered.  Disability.  This morning I tried to call it retirement, pensioned, on and on.  My internal synonym-finder is disabled.  Good thing I drag this big, honking red book around – Synonym Finder by Rodale.  And yes, I could put it on the Kindle, I know.  Don’t even go there.

No comments:

Post a Comment