Carolyn Wall

Carolyn Wall
In case this author becomes a recluse, this is what she looked like....Courtesy Jennifer J. Parker

Friday, May 17, 2013

Gatsby and Hmm

Gatsby and Hmmm...
       So here is this movie, (The Great) Gatsby -- dandy Leonardo with his crazy-smiley-smooth character-self, who simply dreamed himself out.  Interesting study of making our own dreams come true.  He bumped up against one too many.  Kept thinking he should be the one in the psychiatrist's office.
       The glamour, the costumes, the dancing, the parties, all were spectacular.
       And then there was ... wow.  Her name escapes me.  (guess I was impressed!  Just tip-of-the-tongue syndrome again) And that leading lady played such a lovely fragile part.  So true to life -- she loves two men.  But to whom does she turn when she's in trouble? 
       And Nick, whom I loved most.  But, in truth, I don't understand why Nicky wound up in the asylum.  And if he were going to, wouldn't be on account of all that he caused by his first nod of the head?  I certainly can see him writing his way out.
       Carraway is wordy.  In book and movie.  And I did not get, or want to get, that final stuff about boats against the current and things in the past.  I just wanted him to say The End.
       I did love, and get, the cataclysmic ending, from Plaza Hotel to dead in the pool.  Give a funeral and nobody comes.   Lovely twists.  I'm a great fan of I-didn't-see-that-coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment